It's funny that this topic came up because just this weekend I was talking with one of my girlfriends about an ill-fated girls weekend that never materialized. We decided to tone it down from 2 nights 200+ miles away to about 25-30 hours off duty. There's a restaurant we like with a chain hotel behind it. So our plan is to gather the ladies for a night of dinner and drinks and then walk (or crawl) back to our hotel room, split as many ways as possible to keep costs low. Then we'll go to breakfast and the mall the next day. All this will happen about 10 miles from my house, not too much farther for the rest of the ladies. It serves the purpose of giving us a break and a night away, but it's not a fantastic getaway.
Now if I had unlimited cash and 48 hours, it would be more like this:
1. I would get a car service to pick me up at my house and take me and a few of my best girlfriends into New York City. The friends would have to meet me here and we're not waiting for anyone who is late because they aren't cutting into my 48 hours.
2. We'd check into a fabulous hotel. No doubling up (unless we wanted to). I want my quiet time alone! I would take a hot shower in a beautiful bathroom and I would take as long as I wanted without a small person coming in to use the bathroom. I would shave my legs AND condition my hair, even if it hadn't been that long since I last did it. I would dry off with a fluffy warm towel and put on a plush robe. When I was ready to get dressed, I'd discard these items on the floor for someone else to launder. I'd only use them once, unlike the recycled towels at my house.
3. Next we'd head to the spa. We'd stay there as long as it took to destress, or at least get to a passable level without using up our entire time. I'm talking massage, mani-pedis, hot tub, whatever. I'd also find someone to blow out my hair since most spas have salons in them, too.
4. We would head out to a nice lunch. It would taste as delicious and be as filling as things that make me enormous, but they wouldn't leave me feeling enormous.
5. We'd go shopping. I would be able to buy clothes that looked nice on my unfortunately proportioned body and I wouldn't have to worry about the cost. If I bought many bags full, I'd pay someone to carry my stuff.
6. I'd slip away from the ladies for a while so I could hit up Staples and The Container Store. I'd buy all the organizational stuff and office supplies that I've ever wanted. I'd bring some to my room to use later but I'd have most of it shipped home. If one of my friends wanted to come watch this major geek-out, that would be fine, but I suspect none of them would care.
7. Dinner and drinks - location TBD. But it will be a nice place and there will be no children. Everyone will speak in hushed tones. I want a quiet dinner in peace. I want an appetizer, I want a salad, I want a main dish, I want dessert. I want to eat all of it and I want to sit in that restaurant until I'm done. I do not want to have to leave or rush because someone can't sit still anymore.
8. When we were tipsy enough to be happy but not so drunk that we'd be hungover, we'd go to bed. Not too late. I need sleep. And the bed - remember the fabulous hotel? It's a large, soft bed. And I bought new jammies in #5, so it'll be good.
9. After a restful 12 hours of slumber, I'd order room service. Breakfast in bed. Laptop time. Reading, writing, etc. Getting my thoughts in order. I don't care what the other ladies do. This was my 48 hours to begin with and I just opted to let them join me. I love them, but I don't need to spend the entire time with them.
10. For the rest of the time, I'd repeat the best parts of #1-9. Probably more shopping (with all that unlimited money!), more nice, quiet meals, more spa time. More hanging out with my favorite ladies doing fun stuff. More quiet time to read and write.
Alternate uses of my 48 hours:
1) Romantic getaway with husband. Food, relaxing, drinks, maybe some beach. Romantic-y stuff, etc.
2) I'd hire a team to clean my house and help me organize everything that's in it. Attic, basement, carpets, windows, laundry. All of it. I don't care how many people I need to hire, but this house will be spotless and organized. I wonder if we could paint and landscape it too?
3) I'd take my kid to Legoland California. We'd hire a private jet to get us there on our own schedule, have all of the fun and then come home. We would get fried apples AND churros. Before we head home, I'd pick up coffee at It's A Grind, because there are none of those on the East Coast. While I was gone, someone will have cleaned my house. There will be someone waiting to put my child to bed for me upon our return and someone will have cooked my dinner. Because that's the worst part of returning from a trip, jumping back into reality.
OK, so can I please have 4 sets of 48 hours? Please?
Thanks for reading!
You can follow my blog by entering your email on the sidebar.