In 40 months, I'll turn 40. In honor of the big event, I've created a list of things I'd like to accomplish by then. I only have 34 items on the list so far, leaving room for goals to develop since admittedly there is still quite a bit of time. I've added two more items since the last time I posted it.
1. Run a 5k.
2. Run a 10k.
3. Run a half marathon.
4. Lose 40 pounds.
5. Make significant steps toward reducing animal products in my diet.
6. Finish my memoir.
7. Publish my memoir.
8. Buy Long Term Care insurance.
9. Visit with a financial planner and map out a goal for retirement.
10. Create and utilize a budget.
11. Read 50 books.
12. Redesign my blog under my own domain name.
13. Sort and organize my mother's belongings.
14. Live a more minimalist lifestyle.
15. Save enough money to purchase our next vehicle in cash.
16. Attend another blogging conference.
17. Eliminate my dependence on caffeine.
18. Unplug for one full week.
19. Get a paid writing job.
20. Create a usable space in the home office.
21. Bag, Board and Catalog comic/magazine collection.
22. Organize CD collection.
23. Organize DVD collection.
24. Create usable living space in attic.
25. Create usable living space in basement.
26. Organize (digitize?) all old writings.
27. Make go-bags for all family members.
28. Create an emergency bin with supplies.
29. Buy a really awesome, unnecessarily expensive pair of jeans that make my ass look amazing.
30. Buy a killer dress - cocktail? ball gown? I don't know.
31. Go to some event that requires me to wear the aforementioned dress.
32. Go zip-lining.
33. Get third tattoo.
34. Climb a rock wall.
I've spent considerable time and energy on #4 (reduce animal products in diet) and #5 (lose 40 pounds). I've lost 11 pounds since the new year and I have not had meat in 3 weeks. I'm well aware that my weight loss is too rapid and I am working on slowing things down a bit. And I won't pretend that I'll never eat meat again, but it's been a good month so far and overall I'm happy.
For #21 (comic book collection), I've made significant progress. Almost all the books are bagged and boarded - nearly 10 long boxes worth. We will hit 11 boxes before I'm done. I had to get them boxed before I could start working on #20 (creating a usable space in the home office ). Speaking of which, the ceiling is painted and the walls are edged. My new desk is sitting in my hallway and as soon as the painting is done I'll be building it.
#16 (attend another blogging conference) is planned: Type A Parent in September is booked! I'm really excited about going. On the one hand I wish it was sooner because, seriously, I cannot wait to go, but on the other I'm glad there's some time so I can get in the right mental space by then. Right now my head is way too clouded to really get what I want out of it.
#10 (budget), #6 (memoir), #11 (read 50 books), #15 (saving for a car) have all been worked on. Nothing reportable, but I've made steps in the direction of all of them this month.
When I put it all down like that, I realize I've been doing quite well actually. The act of writing isn't happening as much as I'd like, but much thought has gone into it. Once the office is usable again, I hope to be able to have the physical space for working on the memoir and some other writing projects in a more serious fashion.
I'll keep plugging away and I'll be back on February 24th to up date again. Thanks to everyone who even remotely cares about this list of mine!